Friday 19 December 2008

first blog post!

Wow, this is it, my first blog post. What's it going to be about? Well the blog is going to cover everything from my life. So what does that cover:
  1. Family
  2. Friends
  3. Faith
  4. The Web
  5. Databases
  6. Technology
  7. Mountain Biking
  8. Hiking
  9. Anything Else
It's eclectic; I'm into a lot of things and anyone who knows me will tell you that anything after number 6 can change as often as the weather. The first 6 are non-negotiable really, they have always been there and always will.

There wont be loads of pictures, there wont be loads of posts but I'll try to update weekly if I can.

So, with the introductions now over with what is the really about.

I was recently on the train - a 3 hour trip to attend a meeting and I had my laptop with me and I had a novel with me. With free wi-fi on trains these days I could have got onto the company network, done some more prep for the meeting, done some development work. A good use of 3 hours right?

No! I never work on trains, I mean never - never have and never will. I had a novel with me - Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince. So, settled in my seat, laptop safely in the luggage rack I pulled out the book and read. It was wonderful, peace, quiet and a relatively comfy seat meant that I could enjoy the book without interruption.

Some people see this as a waste of time but they are the sort of people who arrive at meetings tired and agitated and then they work at the meeting and on the way home. They get in grumpy and exhausted. I know this because I have friends like it. This situation seems much more wasteful to me.

I got to my meeting and was fresh and ready to go. I had a good meeting, and by the time I got home I had loads of energy for playing with the kids. 

So, next time you are on the train or the plane heading to a meeting don't work, the company is paying for you to rest and get recharged; they want the best from you in the meeting - make sure they get it.






No comments:

Post a Comment