Monday 5 January 2009

What makes the difference?

I am just about to embark upon a new project - the implementation of a Virtual Learning Environment. There will be some level of development involved in this project as no out-of-the-box system fits our requirements.

The one question I am asking myself in the decision making process is 'What makes the difference?' What is it that will mark one system out against another? How to we decide whether to buy a system and customise it or to build a system ourselves? If we build it ourselves what is it that will make the difference?

Let me illustrate this with a simple analogy. Take two cars, Hyundai Accent and Mercedes E-Class. There are many things in common with these two vehicles. They are both cars (yes the Hyundai is a car technically speaking), they both have four wheels plus a spare, they both have an engine, they both have steering wheels, they both have seats and body work, they have dashboards and all manner of other items are in common. Yet I reckon if you got into either car without knowing which you could tell. What is it that makes the difference?

In the case of the cars the Mercedes has a better build quality so the sound of the door closing is nicer, the seats are more comfortable, there is more leg room, the dashboard contains more gadgets (though you wouldn't see them if you were blindfolded). There are many differences between the two cars and they are the extras, the touches beyond the basics, the features that make driving a pleasure and not a chore, the quality that means you enjoy the drive.

So, when I look at software solutions I ask what makes the difference? When I plan a software solution I look at the basics and then once they are perfect I add the extras that make using the software a joy.

This idea is applicable to all aspects of life. When I take my wife out I go the extra mile - a nice restaurant, ask the grandparents to take the kids. Things that make the date special.

If you are in a customer facing business provide your customers with all that they expect and more - make it a pleasure to do business with you.

When you take on any role or project ask 'What makes the difference?' and the strive to match up to the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment